Sunday, July 23, 2006

Death

Early this morning while at the hospital during a clinical rotation, I had the opportunity to be with a family as their mother passed away. The lady was elderly and had been declining in health for at least a few days.

I'm sure the family doesn't share my opinion, but I couldn't help but think how lucky they were. They were able to say to their mother maybe the things they had not said and were able to say goodbye. They had many years with her and knew they had done all that was possible for her before she died.

I know death is never easy, but I can't tell you what I would give to have had that opportunity with my mom. I know this family is in pain, and I am glad I was there to offer a hug, a pat on the back, and my condolencences to the family. I am very sorry for their loss.

I know the familiar saying that all things happen for a reason. I hope I am able to use my experience to be a better nurse for my patients and their families at the end of life.

No comments: