Friday, July 28, 2006

Who decides?

For those of you in GA, I'm sure you have heard of the tragic end to Jenny Ewing's life. She was murdered on a bike trail near Atlanta. I am very sorry for her family's loss.

Having said that, I need to make a point. Her body was discovered less than 24 hours after she was reported missing. Why is it the DNA evidence on her body will be processed and results provided in 10 days? Last night Nancy Grace featured Mrs. Ewing's story on her program; why have I not heard back from her? Sonny Perdue, the governor of our state made statements about Mrs. Ewing's murder yesterday (Thursday); I had to wait for weeks to receive a reply from him. It simply stated he was forwarding my request to the head of the GBI.

Is the difference because my mother was not a socialite? Our city and state should be outraged by every life that is taken by another, not just the ones that seem to be able to attract the most media attention. Maybe Mrs. Ewing's family does not want all the media blitz that is currently going on around them. I would love just a small part of that; I think it could help find my mother's killer.

Nothing about this is fair. It is definitely not fair that my mom was murdered. But why don't all murder victims receive the same attention? My mom was an awsome lady, and I cannot begin to tell you the things I lost when she was murdered. Who decides which murder victims deserve the attention in the media and law enforcement community?

Now, on the TV I hear breaking news that the "person of interest" the police have in custody has been charged with the murder. Good work GBI.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I agree with you. It always pisses me off when a person who has money or is popular get the headlines when they are missing or murdered but let it be a poor person or one of color and the news people are no where to be found.