Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Who was Carol Mathis?

Carol was born April 1, 1957. She was the oldest of 5 children. She had one daughter (that's me) and one grandson.

She was a very generous person, always looking to help others when she may have needed help herself. My mom was very kind and thoughtful. She was probably one of the most non-discriminating people I will ever know. She did not judge a person by their color, sex, status in life, or accomplishments. I believe she saw a potential in every person she met.

My mom struggled throughout much of her life. Somehow she always managed to overcome the struggles she faced. These struggles speak volumes about the strength of her character. She always persevered, never giving in. I can remember many times when giving in would have been so easy to do, but she never did.

A few of the lessons I learned from her:

  • Cherish family and friends, and let these people know how you feel;
  • Always be thankful for what you have in life;
  • Hard work is something to be proud of;
  • If you want something in life, work to obtain it;
  • Don't take the easy way out.

1 comment:

Patrice said...

First of all, my condolensces to you over the loss of your precious mother. I don't live in the Georgia area, but I live in Seattle. But I will pray that her killer(s) are caught and brought to justice. My heart goes out to you and your family. I will pray for strength and peace for you as well. Kind regards, Patrice Delanty