Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Sorry, I know my postings here are of the 'feast or famine' nature, either no posts for a month or so or posts for 2 consecutive days. It is the nature of the beast!

Yesterday I took the initiative to write a letter of opinion to the Macon Telegraph. The story behind the letter is this: Macon and Bibb county released statistics this week about crime rates for 2006. My letter follows (you may recognize the last paragraph, I borrowed it from a posting I did last summer):

Statistics are a joke

The newly released crime statistics for Macon and Bibb County seem to be somewhat of a joke to me. My mother, Carol Mathis, was murdered in Macon in the spring of 2006. I would be interested to see statistics regarding the ratio or percentage of violent crimes that have been solved and are waiting for processing of evidence by the state crime lab.

I am told we are waiting for evidence to be processed in my mother's case. I do not understand the delay. Does our state have that many unsolved murder cases? I am told her case will be processed "in order."

Yet, all it takes is careful watching of the news to realize this is not fact. For example Jenny Ewing's case had DNA processed with results returned within days. Why are there discrepancies? Is it because Mrs. Ewing and her family were/are more influential than my mom or family? I cannot make sense of it all.

Nothing about this is fair. It is definitely not fair that my mom was murdered. My mom was an awesome lady and I cannot begin to tell you the things I lost when she was killed.

No comments: