Saturday, September 02, 2006

Questions Answered

Well, this week has been filled with anxiety for me. Thursday I had a meeting scheduled with the lead detective (I'll refer to him as "#1") on my mom's case. Imagine my sense of defeat when I arrived at the detective bureau and learned he was not working.

I felt I could not leave there without talking to someone. I was able to talk to his partner (He's "#2"). #2 gave me and my husband a lot of information, not especially specific to my mom's murder but to violent crimes. He gave us insight about how they are working the case.

#2 told us #1 would return on Friday. I told him to relay a message to #1 that we would be back on Friday.

We were able to meet with #1 yesterday. Again he gave us more information and insight. He encouraged me to be patient, which can sometimes be VERY hard in this situation.

He allowed my husband and I to view a couple of the crime scene photos. Why? I had a glimmer of hope that since none of my family had seen the body that maybe it wasn't my mom. Now I can rest assured it was her, not some other person.

Before seeing those pictures I knew my mom had died a violent death, but after seeing them I more fully understand how violent it was. I didn't tell any of my family or close friends beforehand because this was very personal to me. I don't want anyone else to see those pictures. They are horrific, but not as bad as I had imagined.

Strangely enough, I can honestly state that I feel better after seeing them. I no longer can question if it was my mom who died.

I am so thankful to #1 and #2. They both spent an hour or more talking to me and my husband. They gave us information and patiently answered all of our questions. I feel so much better now.

No comments: